Thursday, October 17, 2013

Nick's Sticks Perdomo




Sun Grown
Handmade in Nicaragua
Robusto 52 x 5
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan long leaf
Binder: Nicaraguan


Nick Junior followed in the footsteps of his father and grandfather as a cigar maker, although all he knew about cigars firsthand was smoking them. In August 1992 he launched a home business in his garage, the humble beginnings of Tobacalera Perdomo. Nick’s new company in Little Havana, Miami was named "Nick's Cigar Co."
The cigar industry’s version of a garage startup company.
 http://www.perdomocigars.com/


I was visiting one of my local tobacco vendors, “The Brass Pipe”. When I came across this cigar. The first thing I noticed was “Little Havana” on the label. The next thing that caught my eye was that this cigar was Puro Nicaraguan. I like the flavor of Nicaraguan tobacco. Next thing I liked was the price $4.45 for single stick. I grabbed the cigar and went to the check out and asked a group standing around if anyone had smoked this cigar. A customer standing near the counter held up a burning cigar and said he was smoking one at this moment. We talked about the cigar, I liked what I heard and took the puppy home.


Nick’s cigar had a very outstanding looking wrapper, dark brown and oily, with a well-fashioned cap.



This cigar was well constructed, the seams were almost invisible. The cigar was firm and had an excellent over all feel. When I rolled the cigar between my fingers it felt solid.






 The cap cut cleanly and did not leave any ragged edges. The pre-light draw was a little tighter then I like, but it was satisfactory.
Looking at the foot, the cigar appeared to be perfectly packed with tobacco. I was definitely looking forward to this smoke.





 The cigar’s foot toasted evenly and lit effortlessly. The first draw was earthy with a little peppery taste on the front of my tongue. The aroma was very enjoyable and my wife commented that the cigar smelled pleasing.







 The ash was light in color, but not white. The ash remained on the cigar for over an inch or more.






As I smoked the first third of the cigar it delivered a pleasant oily taste in my mouth with a good flavor of tobacco and a little hint of leather. Most of the flavor was on the front of my tongue without any harshness on the back of my throat, meaning the tobacco was well aged. Nick’s Stick was medium to full flavor. As I smoked Nick’s Stick the cigar became a little softer. I had to touch up the burn of this cigar a couple of times, but over all the burn was fairly even. I do not let a cigar burn unevenly for long with out correcting it, because I believe that an uneven burn will affect the taste of the cigar. When a cigar is crafted it is intended to burn evenly to deliver the correct flavor balance between the filler, binder and the wrapper. If it burns unevenly that balance is disturbed. 







 The second third of this cigar settled down to a very tasty smoke, with no spice or harshness on the back of my throat. Nick’s cigar continued to deliver a rich tobacco flavor with a trace of leather and some woodsy traits.

.





The last third of the cigar lost almost all of the peppery taste and developed a smooth almost creamy taste, with a hint of charcoal in the background. This cigar deployed a little nicotine near the end of the smoke. Nick’s cigar lasted about an hour and twenty minutes and left a pleasurable tobacco taste in my mouth.



I enjoyed this cigar and for the price of $4.45 it was a great cigar. At this price point you can afford to share. If you like medium to full flavored cigars you will like this one.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment